I made the trip down to West Lafayette for the Iowa vs Purdue game. Some may recall we had Homework for the Purdue game and I wanted to be there in person to turn it in. After a solid Friday night out and two breakfasts within a four hour period at the Triple XXX Restaurant, I was ready, rivalry angry, and shaking like a little girl in the cold.
We scalped great tickets right outside Ross Ade Stadium for under face value. They were on the 50 yard line, 20-some rows up and right behind ”the King“. You can see the back of his Pharaoh hat in the picture below. Right off the bat, I was losing steam on my hatred for our B1G assigned rival. First, there is Danny Hope who is sporting the poster-stache for Movember. Then, the Boilermakers had a touching Senior Day tribute to a lost teammate. Finally, you just felt bad for all the empty seats. Purdue was coming off a huge win against OSU, fighting for a Bowl and playing their final home game. I was surprised by the poor turnout. I have never been to a Hawkeye game at Kinnick with that many empty seats.
The bars at Purdue like the Go Ugly Early theme, which seems like a no brainer at an engineering school. The game itself waited a drive or two before it went ugly. Then it took ugly home to meet the parents, married ugly and had ugly little kids. But, a win is a win and a road win it even better. Hopefully, the road win streak reaches 2 on Black Friday against Nebraska.
Just a few loose observations from the weekend
- Purdue Football players seem to be in some weird Pirates of the Caribbean phase
- Jakes Roadhouse gives free hotdog to drunk people, that will get into heaven
- I predict $12 white gas station sunglasses to be the next trend with college kids
- I have become a cold weather wussy
- Chad Ericksen doesn’t remember me
- Harry’s Chocolate Shoppe is a decent place to drink beer and stream the Iowa 3A Football Championship Game (go Vikes)
- I would have enjoyed the Breakfast Club at Purdue
- Watching 9 live college football games in 12 weekends is fun, but exhausting
- Iowa State still sucks